Share this article with your friends
Click on the links below to share this article on social media.
|Telephone||0121- 477-0410, 077-5845-5303, 0082-(0)10-3710-7883|
I am currently an honorary research fellow at Queen’s, supervising PhD students within the field of practical theology, particularly in a third-world women’s context. For a few years I have been teaching pastoral care and counselling-related subjects as a part-time lecturer at Baeseok Theological Seminary in Seoul, Korea. I also enjoy running an academic group called Spirituality and Counselling for Wholeness, and being involved in a local church ministry as a laity.
PhD 2007 University of Birmingham MA 2001 University of Birmingham
- Roles and responsibilities
In the past I have taught a variety of courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate level in the UK and Korea, at Newman University College, Queen’s College, Dongduk Women’s University, Baekseok Cultural University, including Baekseok Theological Seminary as a part-time lecturer.
I am a lay Presbyterian, being actively engaged in a local church ministry with my husband who is the minister of a church, from time to time being invited to speak to Sunday school teachers in the local churches in Korea.
I am currently a member of the Korea’s Evangelical Practical Theological Society, regularly participating at the meetings, presenting research papers. I was a research fellow and an advisor for Korean students of a post-graduate course at Birmingham Christian College for two years from 2007. With Dr Nicola Slee I was one of the original members of the Research Symposium on the Faith Lives of Women and Girls, presenting papers and being involved in discussions that resulted in the establishment of the Symposium.
For several years until 2014, I was actively engaged in and a co-leader of an international women’s group (CAMEO), associated with Friends International which is an organization that helps international students in the UK.
- Research interests and supervision areas
My main research area is women’s faith development in psychodynamic perspectives and its application to Christian adult education and pastoral practice. I am particularly interested in phenomenological and hermeneutical approaches to individuals’ religious experiences, from the grass-root experience of non-Western women. My doctoral research, on the patterns of women’s faith experiences based on interviews with Korean women, has been published as Religious Attachment: Women’s Faith Development in Psychodynamic Perspective (CSP, 2008). I have developed a research interest in helping people who are insecure or unhealthy in their images of self and God, and produced several journal articles both in English and Korean. I have recently published a book in Korean language based on an integration of biblical perspectives and psychodynamic counselling. This is being used as a course text book: Mental Health and Christian Counselling (CLC, 2015).
- Religious Attachment: Women's Faith Development in Psychodynamic Perspective (Newcastle Upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2008).
- Mental Health and Christian Counseling (정신건강과 기독교 상담) (Seoul: Daesheo, 2015).
Chapters and journal articles
- “Transference and Counter-transference in Christian Counseling” (기독교 상담에서 전이와 역전이의 이해와 활용), The Gospel and Praxis (복음과 실천신학) 37, 2015.
- “Patterns of Women's Religious Attachments” in Girls and Women's Faiths and Lives (Hants: Ashgate, 2013).
- “Religious Representations for Christian Adult Education,” Journal of Beliefs and Values 32/1, April, 2011.
- “Practices of Educational Ministry for Women's Anxiety: Based on Attachment Theory” (여성의 불안에 대한 교육목회실천), The Gospel and Praxis (복음과 실천신학)22, 2010.
- “Directions of Effective Educational Ministry for Women: Based on the Characteristics of Women's Psychological and Spiritual Development” (여성의 심리적 영적 발달을 고려한 효과적인 교육목회방안), The Bible and Theology (성경과 신학) 55, 2010.
- “Attachment and Christian Education” (애착과 기독교교육), The Gospel and Praxis (복음과 실천신학) 20, 2009.
- “Attachment and Women's Faith Development,” Journal of Beliefs and Values 27/2, August, 2006.
Bible Meditation Notes
“What Love Means,” “From Despondency to Hope,” “How to Give Thanks,” “Missing the Mark: Disciples and Congregation,” “Jesus the Teacher,” Words for Today, Birmingham: IBRA, (2008-2012).
- Tony Horsfall, Mentoring for Spiritual Growth (Abingdon: BRF, 2008) (영적 성장을 위한 멘토링, Seoul: CLC, 2016 in progress).
- Christian Spirituality, Arthur Holder (ed.) The Blackwell Companion to Christian Spirituality (John Wiley and Sons, 2010) (기독교 영성, Seoul: CLC, 2016 in progress).
- Margaret Kornfeld, Cultivating Wholeness: A Guide to Care and Counseling for Faith Communities (Continuum, 1997) (공동체 돌봄과 상담, Seoul: CLC, 2013).
- Jana L. Sundene and Richard R. Dunn, Shaping the Journey of Emerging Adults (IVP, 2012) (이머징 세대를 위한 영적 멘토링, Seoul: CLC, 2013)