1984 BA (Hons) in Theology Durham University 1985 ThM Duke University, North Carolina 1991 PhD Durham University
- Roles at Queen’s
- I teach Church History, Preaching and Spirituality. I am also the co-ordinator for the Circuit Based Learning Pathway which combines study at Queen’s with practical experience for around 20 hours every week based in a local Circuit.
- External roles and responsibilities
- I am part of the steering group for the Transforming Shame network, which seeks to encourage the church to address issues of shame more fully.
I am a member of the Faith and Order Committee of the Methodist Church and Trustee of my local foodbank.
I preach and lead services for my local Circuit and further afield.
- Research interests and supervision areas
- My research interests include both church history and historical theology. I have a longstanding interest in issues of sin guilt and shame, particularly in the context of a world which puts so much emphasis on self-esteem and considers sin to be an outmoded concept.
I am interested in supervising doctoral or MA dissertations on any area of Church history or historical theology, I am particularly interested in all aspects of the sixteenth century Reformations (both Protestant and Catholic) and early evangelical and Methodist history.
- Living the Story (Kevin Mayhew, 2003)
- Article on Calvin in The Bloomsbury Guide to Christian Spirituality (Bloomsbury, 2012)
- ‘The Cost of Supporting Luther: The Role of Johann Staupitz in the Early Reformation’, Lutheran Forum, 53.4 (2019), 16–22
- Forbidden Fruit and Figleaves: Reading the Bible with the Shamed (SCM, 2020)
- ‘“Obscure and Senseless”? – Another Look at When Cajetan Met Luther’, Lutheran Forum, 54.4 (2020), 21–27; (available at: https://www.lutheranforum.com/blog/obscure-and-senseless-another-look-at-when-cajetan-met-luther)
- ‘Whose Honour, Whose Shame?’, Anvil: Journal of Theology and Mission, 37.2 (2021), 25–29. (available at https://churchmissionsociety.org/resources/whose-honour-whose-shame-some-reflections-on-the-bible-anvil-vol-37-issue-2/)