|Job Title||Methodist Diaconal Tutor (Centre for Ministerial Formation)|
Originally from Hamburg in Germany and with roots in the Lutheran Church, I came to Halifax, West Yorkshire in 2004. I worked mainly in recruitment, banking, and the IT industry before I became a lay worker in the Methodist Church and eventually candidated for ordained diaconal ministry.
In circuit ministry, I had the privilege to work with families and communities helping them to encounter God in everyday life. I supported churches with the identification and development of new mission and outreach opportunities. As secretary of a Churches Together Group, I got actively involved in many ecumenical projects – an aspect of my ministry that I very much enjoyed. I was also a foundation governor of a small rural CoE primary school. Together with the RE teacher and a local artist, and with the generous financial support of the Methodist District in Cumbria, we developed an art project with the children where they could express their understanding of the school’s values. Another fulfilling aspect of my ministry was being chaplain to the Fire & Rescue Services during some challenging times in Cumbria.
- MA in Consultancy for Mission and Ministry (York St John)
Certificate of Higher Education in Theology & Religious Studies (York St John)
Professional Certificate in Management (OU)
Equivalent of HND in Psychological Counselling (Germany)
Equivalent of DipHE Sociology (Germany)
- Roles at Queens
- I am involved in teaching practical Mission & Evangelism and Pastoral Theology. Together with Deacon Julie Hudson, I deliver seminars for our Methodist Student Deacons. As part of their formational training, all our ministerial students go on a summer placement, and it is part of my responsibilities to match Methodist students with suitable placement opportunities. I teach Leadership in Social Justice and co-ordinate Queen’s efforts to get involved in local and national campaigns and actions for Social Justice. I am also chairing our Anti-Racism Task Force.
- Exertenal roles and responsibilities
- As a deacon, I am a member of the Methodist Diaconal Order. I have served as Area Group secretary in Cumbria, a small group of ecumenical deacons (including CoE and a Roman Catholic deacon). Connexionally, I am part of the NPNP Guiding Team and the Nomination of District Chairs Panel.
- Research interests and supervision
Supervision areas and level I have supervised research projects at Master’s and DMin levels. I would be interested in supervising doctoral dissertations on the following areas: Urban Theology and Ministry, Black Pentecostal Theology and Spirituality, and Hermeneutics and Pragmatic Spirituality, Pentecostalism and Liberation Theology, Pentecostalism and Cultural Theology, and Hermeneutics, Spirituality and Lived Wisdom.